An addiction means not having control over doing, taking or using something, to the point that it may be harmful to both yourself and others.
Common addictions include addictions to cigarettes, alcohol or drugs. However, it is possible to become addicted to anything, from gambling to chocolate.
The person finds it increasingly difficult to control how they use what they are addicted to, becoming dependent on it to get them through their daily life.
It is estimated that over 2 million people in the UK have an addiction to some form of substance or activity. Addiction is a complex illness with physical and psychological symptoms, affecting not only the patient, but their family, friends and social environment too.
- Extreme mood changes – happy, sad, excited, anxious, etc
- Sleeping a lot more or less than usual, or at different times of day or night
- Changes in energy – unexpectedly and extremely tired or energetic
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Unexpected and persistent coughs or sniffles
- Seeming unwell at certain times, and better at other times
- Pupils of the eyes seeming smaller or larger than usual
- Financially unpredictable, perhaps having large amounts of cash at times but no money at all at other times
- Changes in social groups, new and unusual friends, odd cell-phone conversations
- Repeated unexplained outings, often with a sense of urgency
Treatment, Help & Support
If either yourself, a friend or a member of your family are affected by addictions, book your first appointment with us now to see how quickly we can start to help you back on the road to recovery.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality responsive and friendly services, delivered by fully qualified Clinical Psychologists who posess a wealth of experience.
We are usually able to see you for your first appointment within a few days of your request. Any subsequent sessions (if required) are agreed between yourself and your Psychologist, arranged at a frequency to optimise progress and to suit your own personal circumstances.
If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us.
We look forward to meeting you soon.