Panic attacks are a very common condition.
A panic attack is a rush of intense psychological (mental) and physical symptoms.
It can be extremely frightening and happen very suddenly, often for no clear reason. You may feel an overwhelming sense of fear and a sense of unreality, as if you’re detached from the world around you.
The physical symptoms are caused by your body going into ‘fight or flight’ mode in response to something you think is a threat.
As well as overwhelming feelings of anxiety, a panic attack can also cause the following symptoms:
- a sensation that your heart is beating irregularly (palpitations)
- hot flushes
- shortness of breath
- a choking sensation
- chest pain
- feeling faint
- numbness, or pins and needles
- dry mouth
- a need to go to the toilet
- ringing in your ears
- a feeling of dread, or a fear of dying
- a churning stomach
- a tingling sensation in fingers
- Repeated panic attacks are considered a syndrome of panic disorder, but the good news is psychotherapy is a proven treatment with a high rate of success in treating panic disorders.
Treatment, Help & Support
If either yourself, a friend or a member of your family are affected by panic attacks, book your first appointment with us now to see how quickly we can start to help you back on the road to recovery.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality responsive and friendly services, delivered by fully qualified Clinical Psychologists who posess a wealth of experience.
We are usually able to see you for your first appointment within a few days of your request. Any subsequent sessions (if required) are agreed between yourself and your Psychologist, arranged at a frequency to optimise progress and to suit your own personal circumstances.
If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us.
We look forward to meeting you soon.